Friday, January 23, 2009

Dollar Craft - Coasters Tutorial


Remember the inspiration pile from a few days back? This is project #1 from that pile. I now have some neat coasters that I can put in the craft lab for myself and visitors. This turned out to be a quick project that can be made with just a few dollars and some simple supplies.


The stuff you will need:

1. Set of cork-backed coasters ($1)
2. Permanent glue stick ($1)
3. Transparent shelf liner (like contact paper) ($1)
4. Scraps of scrapbook paper - I used a heavyweight paper that I had on hand
5. Scissors, kitchen cutting board and a razor blade or exacto knife for cutting

Step 1:
Lay the coaster out on your paper to decide how you want the design to be placed on the final piece. Outline the coaster leaving about 1/8" around it for gluing and cutting.


Step 2:
Spread the glue on the face of the coaster and then lay it down to stick it to the back of the paper. Turn it over and smooth the paper out using a cloth to avoid scratching the surface. Then turn it face down again on your cutting board surface and cut the extra edge of the paper off as close as you can to the coaster using your razor blade.


Step 3:
Now it's time to put the transparent shelf liner on the top of your coaster to make the surface wipeable. Cut the liner a bit larger than the coaster and peel back one corner. Stick the open corner down over a corner of the coaster and slowly peel back the backing. Smooth the surface again using a cloth. Then turn it over and cut the extra liner off just as you cut the paper in step 2.


Voila! Cute, functional and totally easy to customize! Make a set for yourself and one for a friend...

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Those are totally cute! I love the attention to detail in all your creations!

heather

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh I love this! Super easy and super customizable-great combo! I'll be linking to this.

Jennifer said...

What a great idea!
Thanks for sharing.

RebeccaMom said...

great idea!

Happy Momma to Six Blessings said...

Where did you get the coasters that you started with.

Cynthia Rae said...

The coasters and shelf liner were purchased at the Dollar Tree. I've seen similar coasters at hardware stores and craft stores as well. You could even use the thick cardboard coasters from a restaurant. Have fun!

Marla said...

I can't wait to make them for all my friends. These will make great personalized gifts!

Julie Russell said...

I'm going to use this for my Mom's birthday using my one-year-old's pictures and finger-paint creations. Love it!

Unknown said...

nice idea. easy to make. perfect for everybody - with comics for kids and lovely paper for mom.

i set a link to your tutorial.
thanks.

doro.