Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Turning Five

Tomorrow is the big day. It is the one that I never thought would happen when I brought my first little bundle home from the hospital. Here is the first batch of celebration that Cam will take to preschool to share tomorrow for his fifth birthday. I cannot take credit for the brilliant idea of stuffing a mini cookie in the face of a Cookie Monster cupcake but I think my version turned out quite nicely considering the volume and energy of the wee ones running around me as I worked.


What you need:

Cupcakes
Frosting
Food coloring or icing color (I used Wilton's Royal Blue)
Cookies such as Mini Chips Ahoy or regular Chips Ahoy cut in half
Brown M&M's (for the pupil)
White disc candy such as Brach's Peppermint Lozenges


1. Cut a slit in one side of the cupcake.

2. Stuff the cookie inside...
Special note: In retrospect, I am looking at the original inspiration for these cupcakes and realize that the designer used a full sized cookie rather than a small cookie. It was probably cut in half and stuffed into the cupcake. This would make the monster's mouth look much wider like he appears on Sesame Street. I'll have to try this again for the next kid...


3.... and frost it with frosting using a medium star tip. I put two blobs of frosting just above the cookie before pressing the eyes on.

Don't worry, we're taking along a bag of pretzels, carrots and a gallon of milk too...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh no way! These are the cutest cupcakes ever! I had a Sesame Stree birthday when I was younger and we had similar Oscar the Grouch and Cookie Monster cupcakes. We played pin the cookie in Cookie Monsters paw set to a Sesame Street record. It was a blast! These are fabulous and your directions are great. I'll be linking.

Unknown said...

wow! That are adorable!!!!! So creative!

Michelle
http://www.everydaycelebrating.com

jenni said...

those are great! I made some elmo ones last week for my daughters 2nd but these are way better looking!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

So cute! Found via One Pretty Thing! I'll be linking from Littlenummies.net.

Anonymous said...

They are seriously cool cup cakes - love the touch of the cookie stuffed in his mouth!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

THESE are absolutely the cutest cupcakes EVER!!!!!